Green Zone Initiative


What is a Green Zone?


There's no safer place for your family than inside your home... right? Think about all the effort you put in to making sure your family is safe, healthy, and comfortable when outside. How often do you think about the risks your family faces from your home's indoor environment?


Most homes in your neighborhood have performance issues due to factors like age, environment, and building practices. These issues reduce quality of life for families in the areas of Health, Safety, Comfort, and Finances. We, as a local non-profit organization, are focused on helping your family understand how your home is performing. Over the next 60 days we'll be offering no cost “visual check-ups” that are designed to:


 Provide your family with peace of mind
 Improve your family's quality of life
 Connect your family to home performance resources
 Support your local schools – we have a $5000 fund raising goal for your community



For more details
see our brochure




Featured Energy Source


hydraulic fracturing

The Rock: Shale


The search for increased access to clean and natural gas has been fueled, in large part, by advancements in oil and gas technologies.

Although hydraulic fracturing has been around since the 1940s, industry innovation has drastically improved the process, unlocking previously unattainable supplies of natural gas throughout the world.  There is plenty of information about hydraulic fracturing in the news lately, both fact and fiction.

The Society of Petroleum Engineers
 provides a resource to engage and educate communities on the production of energy through hydraulic fracturing. This website features the latest tools and research related to this technology.



image courtesy of Wikipedia

In its abundant supply worldwide, shale is the most common type of rock found to hold fragments of organic material required to produce oil and gas. Since this material is locked in layers of rock, simply drilling through the formation is not enough to retrieve and release the liquid hydrocarbons. Instead, the rocks must be broken (or fractured) using highly-pressurized water.
The Fracturing Fluid
Fracturing fluid is an essential component of the shale gas extraction process. Water makes up 98% to 99.2% of the fluids used for fracture treatments. The remaining 0.8% consists of friction‐reducing additives, which allow the oil and natural gas to flow easily from the reservoir into the well.

The Fracturing Process
A well is first drilled using drill pipe before fracturing begins to increase the flow of gas (view site tour). The well, which is protected by steel casing and cement, is designed to contain water and be strong enough to sustain the force needed to set off a fracture in the reservoir rock. These multiple layers of cement and casing help not only ensure safe well construction but also protect underground water supplies. This process of pumping fracturing fluid through the well is then repeated several times.

The drilling is then angled at about 500 feet above the shale formation, creating a horizontal line, ultimately forming an L-shaped formation. A tool designed to make small holes is then inserted into the pipe, which allows the hydrocarbons to enter the stream. Fracturing fluids are then pumped into the section under high pressure, creating tears to allow oil and gas to move freely from the rock pores into the pipe. Plugs are inserted into the section as the fracturing repeats across the entire length of the horizontal well. Once complete, all of the plugs are removed, allowing the gas to flow out of the well. The fracturing equipment is then removed, the water is cleared and the well is prepared for the completion process

Following the drilling and completion process, collection equipment is installed at the surface to prepare the well for production.




Our Mission is Education


The mission of Great Lakes Energy Education Program (GLEEP), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, is to provide responsible energy use and preserving the Earth's natural resources through environmental education programming. Energy education on renewable energy, oil and gas, energy efficiency, and natural resource stewardship by educating students and community members throughout the Great Lakes region.


GLEEP is also committed to promoting programs for senior and those with disabilites to assist with their everyday activities.



Senior and Disabled Programs - coming soon!


  • Bill Payer Service
  • Shopping Service
  • Housekeeping Service
  • Handyman Service
  • Snowbird Service
  • Sewing Service
  • Gardening Service
  • Guardianship Service





Renewable | About Us | Services | Students | Education | Contacts


Copyright © 2007 - 2009 Great Lakes Energy Service Inc., All Rights Reserved